Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Coming out of the woodwork!

Being a Steelers fan in hostile territory (Baltimore that is) can be somewhat of a strange experience.  When the Ravens are doing good everyone and their brother supports the team, when they are doing bad, well that is a different story.  I'm sure all sports teams have fans that are like this, but to me it just seems like the Steelers' fans travel better and support the team better during good times and bad.

On Monday I walked into the office and I was accosted by an individual that rarely talks football, "this oughta be a good game coming up this weekend, we are going to kill the Steelers".  I remained silent during this obvious trash talking chance, the individual then asked me why I wasn't saying anything.  Well, I informed them that I could to all the talking that I want to before the game or after the game, but my talking isn't going to have any affect on the outcome of the game.  I think my choice of silence dejected this obvious fair weather Ravens fan.

Then at lunch, I was approached again.  I questioned the individual's loyalty to the team during the regular season.  They said, "oh I've been following them all season".  So I promptly asked them what the Ravens record was, their response was, "13 and 0".

What kills me is that the fair weather fans seem to be the ones doing the most trash talking.  The true die-hard Ravens fans that I know aren't talking much at all.  We (true Ravens and Steelers fans) both realize that this is going to be a hard fought game.  I have my concerns about the Ravens and I'm sure they have their concerns about the Steelers.

Has anyone else noticed this fair weather fan trend or more than normal the amount of purple colors flying?  It's like these new found fans are coming out of the woodwork now that the Ravens have a successful season.  Oh well, good luck this weekend Steelers and Ravens.

No comments: