Monday, January 5, 2009

I'm calling BS!!

Now I don't normally do this and I'm not a financial wizard, but I've had enough of hearing about the state of the economy.

I'm tired of hearing about how bad the economy is, about what company needs a bailout, about the housing bubble, and about how horrible this Christmas season was because of the economy. 

Like I said I'm not a financial genius, but shouldn't everyone's (i.e. individual's and company's) purchasing power be the same.  I can understand if you don't have money saved up, if you are up to your eyeballs in credit card debt, if you spent too much money on a major investment (like a house), or if you lost your job.  Only then can I understand that you probably don't have money to spend, but everyone else should still has the same amount of money to pump into the economy.

During the holiday break, I cannot tell you the number of times the "Today Show" talked about saving money and all other things financial.  If television newsrooms continue talking about the state of the economy, why can't the newspaper companies use this opportunity to report about other things.  Instead of begging for a bailout, how about changing things up.  Report something different, turn to the community for newsworthy ideas (it's tough to get community news from television and the Internet), or find new clients.  Forget about that bailout for your dying form of media and do something about it.

One final thing.  When did Americans forget about the idea of lower ones' expectations?  It would appear that we Americans feel that we deserve everything and that we've been living during a long prosperous time period.  Just because you grew up with all the new/cool toys/things doesn't mean that your kids should have the same luxury in life.  Now, I know you want to give them a good life, but a good life doesn't mean having everything and not teaching your kids about responsibility.  We Americans need to learn how to grow up and maybe, just maybe, lower our expectations for the future and this economic crisis that we are going through might not be so bad.

Peace out, bailout!!!!

No comments: